Hi all. Welcome to the June Wrap-Up!!! Nearly July, the sun is shining and life is good.
Just a few words about my beauty posts on the blog and insta:
1. I don’t profess to be a beauty expert. I work in the theatre and spend my life putting make up on and taking it off. I know what I like and I know what works for me. I also do a lot of research.
2. At the risk of sounding like ridiculous Nigella, I like my products to smell incredible and feel luxurious. I want a pamper to feel like a sensory experience….sounds really wanky!
3. I will never review a product I haven’t used for at least 3 weeks.
4. Skin care is my fave. After a show I can’t get my full face of slap off quick enough. I am more than happy to go without makeup for days but to achieve that I like my skin to look good!!! Open pores are my enemy also knackered mum skin.
5. I am not one of those mums who put a full face on for the school run. CANNOT BE ARSED.
Products in the pic above picture…..
1. Exfolikate Cleanser. @katesomervilleskincare. New product.
2. Rose Hibiscus hydrating facial mist and Emerald Deep Moisture Glow Oil. Both new products. @herbivorebotanicals
3. Vitamin C 23% serum and ferulic acid. @gardenofwisdomskincare. Totally brilliant. Affordable, treats sun damage, evens skin tone.
4. Esse ultra moisturiser. @esseskincareuk. Really luxurious.
5. Botanics Hydrating eye cream. @bootsuk. Light and hydrating. #mumofgirls #instaglam #amroutine #skincare #products #productsthatwork
- Milkshake Colour Care shampoo and conditioner £27.00 for both.
I completely LOVE my hairdresser. Elthia has been cutting my hair now for about 7 years. Two years ago she moved to Leeds but she still jumps on a train every few weeks to maintain the barnets of a few lucky Londoners. On her trips to London, she does my whole family in the comfort of my kitchen so I get to wear my pjs- it feels very decadent.
Elthia is a person I completely trust so when she gives my a bollocking for using cheap shampoo which isn’t formulated for coloured hair, I listen and do what she says….she has no reason to plug a specific brand as she is not affiliated with a salon. She was also right. Blonde hair is sodding hard to maintain and although there is nowt wrong with Tresemme, it wasn’t keeping my colour fresh or the condition of my hair in check.
Elthia has undoubtedly been proved right. Since using Milkshake my hair is no longer frizzy and dry. This stuff smells AMAZING. It reminds me of American vanilla pudding and I am a complete sucker for a funky bottle. I purchased from Amazon and it came really quickly. So if you have coloured hair listen to Elthia…..don’t use cheap shampoo….it’s worth investing in something specifically for coloured hair!!!! Here endeth the lesson.
- Vitamin C Serum 23% and Ferulic Acid by Garden of Wisdom. £10.00.
I have been using this for about 8 weeks now and it is a brilliant serum. GoW is based in Arizona but now sold at Victoria Health. It is massively popular with beauty experts not due to insta but well, just because their products work. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Price wise it is comparable to The Ordinary but is less science-jargon based. I love The Ordinary but I feel a little like I am sat in chemistry class just to try to understand the label. 🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐🧐 Is it just me or is skincare turning into a GCSE chemistry paper? I find all these percentages, BHAs and AHAs a little intimidating. I do think it’s important however to do your research and not let the scary words intimidate you!!! So for those of us who weren’t so hot at science and maths at school, here it all is in layman’s terms. Why use a vitamin C serum? Vit C makes sun damage and red spots less visible while brightening dull skin. 🍊It contains powerful antioxidants that help protect and heal skin from inflammation. 🍊. It also increases the efficacy of your SPF. 🍊👏🍊. Onto Ferulic Acid. This is an antioxidant found in the cell walls of rice and oats and in the seeds of 🍎and 🍊. In a serum like this it boosts the effectiveness of the vitamin C to help slow the ageing process. Basically, put together Vitamin C and Ferulic Acid are like Batman and Robin for your skin. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 I am no beauty expert and I haven’t tried enough other brands to compare but this stuff is affordable, works and is endorsed by people like Caroline Hirons whose opinions I totally respect. Give it a whirl, it won’t break the bank.
- Kate Somerville. Exfolikate Daily Foaming Cleanser. £16 for 50 ml. £32 for 120ml.
Oh Kate how I love you. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ I have been using this for about a month now and it’s fab. Contains glycolic and lactic acid and also 🍍, papaya and 🎃 enzymes to exfoliate and help you find that elusive glow. The important thing is that it’s gentle enough to use everyday. Gets rid of all makeup and doesn’t leave skin tight and sensitive. It also has lasted bloody ages!! The lather feels really thick and luxurious…almost like a shaving foam. 🎃🍍🎃🍍🎃🍍🎃🍍🎃🍍🎃🍍🎃
Thank you all so much for reading. See you next month!