Meal times with my girls are summed up by these emojis. 😩😩😤😰🙏. Mealtimes are a daily battle with my 4 year old and it seems my 21 month old is copying her. I do have 1 thing I know she will eat and this is bolognese. My husband and I are sooooooooooo bored of bolognese. My new cunning plan is to make everything I cook in the future, resemble bolognese. I will not let the 4 year old win.
Tonight’s offering of Spaghetti with Sausage and Lentils was a total hit AND it looks like *bolognese.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- Pack of pre cooked lentils. I used merchant gourmet.
- Pack of toulouse sausages with the skins removed. I used Waitrose own brand
- Good slug of white wine
- Chicken stock cube
- Tin of tomatoes
- Squeeze of tomato puree
- Grated Parmesan plus the rind
- Olive oil, water, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Fry until the onion is softened.
- Add the grated carrot, pepper and lentils and cook slowly for 10 minutes.
- Add the sausage meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Stir until the meat looks cooked.
- Add the white wine and cook down until the alcohol has evaporated.
- Crumble in the stock cube and top up with a little water.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the puree.
- Simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the grated parmesan and the rind of the cheese. I really believe this adds a depth of flavour. Allow to cook for five mins. Remove the rind before serving.
- Serve with spaghetti and pretend its bolognese.
*please excuse the constant use of the word bolognese!!!!